W11: Become An Effective Safety Rep.
Giving you the skills you need to represent your people through effective safety
Being a brilliant safety representative means more than just knowing about the law.
Your main role is to represent your constituents fully possible. This means that your interpersonal, communication, written and thinking skills must be excellent. That’s what this two-day workshop concentrates on.
Safety Improvers will not waste your valuable time lecturing at you for two days on the legal system, the role and status of Health and Safety Agencies, the legal status of documents, the core HSE legislation, the importance of safety management systems and employers’ health and safety requirements at the worksite.
All this background is presented in a work book which is sent to participants a month before the workshop. The pre-workshop exercises are the equivalent of two days of workshops and participants can complete the exercises in their own time and bring the work book with them to the workshop.
During the two days of face-to-face tuition participants will cover the following topics:
Review of exercises in the pre-workshop exercises
The Safety Representatives Roles and Responsibilities
- Requirements of SI 1988/971
- Guidance on the regulations
- Relationships on Offshore Installations and Support activities
- Basic Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- Accident causes and prevention – case studies Accident /incident investigation
- Principles of inspection Communicating Safety – The Safety Reps Role
The Principles of Personal Effectiveness
- Developing Personal Communications Skills Presenting arguments
- Writing Letters and Reports Making Presentations
- Carrying out inspections
- Representing employees’ concern to management
- Preparing and Presenting Constituent Complaints
- Accident investigations and report writing
- Conducting Safety Committee Meetings