Your organisation already has in place excellent tools to help people work safely.
Unfortunately, they deteriorate over time and become less effective.
Safety Improvers know what causes this deterioration and can help you:
- Make existing safety systems more effective – cutting out bureaucracy, wasted effort and time-wasting
- Evaluate your current safety tools and identify the least effective so that you eradicate them
- Recommend safety tools that could improve efficiency in your organisation
Safety Systems Case studies
Here are some dangerous practices that we’ve found in some organisations.
- Recording safety observations (not wearing correct PPE) as “near misses”. This made their safety performance look terrible
- An induction which took 4 hours with three DVDs. There was so much information that people lost interest and they missed the main safety messages
- So many audits and inspections that HSE advisers could spend no time coaching/advising frontline staff
- Recording medical conditions (appendicitis) as “first aid cases”. Again this makes the safety performance look bad.
- Three different methods of accident investigation, resulting in ineffective lessons learned
- A complex online accident reporting system that people could not understand so that accidents were not reported or the reports made no sense.
- Duplication of the roles in the HSE department resulting in confusion and vital tasks not being done
- No behavioural safety training and/or no safety observation system
- A beautiful 12-page quarterly safety newsletter that no one read
- Tons of lessons learned information, but not disseminated to front-line staff effectively